11 General Orders of a Sentry
You will be required to quote any one or all of your Eleven General Orders of a Sentry from memory anytime, anywhere and to anyone.
Although we do not require Sea Cadets to learn them within their first week they do need to know them before they attend Recruit Boot Camp and they can be called upon at any time by a superior officer to quote any or all of the 11 General orders.
1. Take charge of this post and all government property in view.
2. Walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert, and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.
3. Report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.
4. Repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guardhouse than my own.
5. Quit my post only when properly relieved.
6. Receive, obey, and pass on to the Sentry who relieves me, all orders from the Commanding Officer, Command Duty Officer, Officer of the Deck, and officers and petty officers of the watch only.
7. Talk to no one except in the line of duty.
8. Give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.
9. Call the Petty Officer of the Watch in any case not covered by instructions.
10. Salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.
11. Be especially watchful at night and, during the time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post, and to allow no one to pass without proper authority.
Note: All recruits will sound off in a loud, clear voice when asked for a particular order as shown in the following example:
Instructor: “Recruit/Cadet, what is your 10th general order?”
Recruit: “Sir/Ma’am/Petty Officer, this Recruit/Cadets 10th general order is to salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased sir/ma’am/Petty Officer!